I was looking back, and the last exclusively sewing post was for April! I didn't do much sewing in May, with NO pictures of fabric. I put together some fabric in June, but I didn't do much sewing. July was the first month of more sewing!
I wanted to use the summer to get so sewing done, but until July, I didn't really get the chance to sew much. That is fine, since family life is more important than any sewing project! With the Mighty Lucky challenge, I worked on April's project. It was interpreting a photograph into a quilt. If you think that sounds challenging, in practice it is much harder! It took between 12 and 15 hours of sewing to get my "block" which could really double as a small quilt.
I used a picture Adrian took of an orchid from our first trip to the Atlanta Botanical Garden. I never knew I liked orchids until that trip! This is the picture I based my quilt block off of.
And this is my translation of that picture into a quilt block. Every time I think about this particular challenge, I think of a quote from one of my favorite quilters Lynn at the Patchery Menagerie. She says, that recreating pictures into quilts does not use the medium well. She likes to use quilting to convey other ideas, not recreate pictures. I tend to agree that the medium is not conducive to reproducing paintings or photographs, but I like the idea of interpretive or stylized pictures and may try this again some day. In any case, it was an interesting challenge and definitely pushed me out of my comfort zone.
Here are my first four blocks together. April's block is almost as big as January's and Febrary's blocks put together!
I started on the May challenge as well! It is about color contrast. The idea is to use one block and change the fabric choices for different components of the block to see how it changes the over all look. I wanted to choose a simple block since I wasn't planning on making a whole quilt and wanted it to be small. Then I chose my fabrics and got to it! This is the first of many contrasting blocks!
Once I got started making these blocks, I just couldn't stop! It was so much fun to see how each fabric choice changed the look of the block! I went overboard and made more than I needed!
I kept everything organized by drawing out my plan and then stacking the fabric on top of each plan. With that, I could chain piece several blocks at a time!
Not quite a complete set, but still a lot of blocks and many different looks!
I got to work on Mercy's quilt and actually finished the third color section! Each section is quilted differently, with the light pink section quilted with "organic" lines and bubbles. I really like the way it came out, and a bonus was that it didn't take very long to complete!
The blue name panel on the back shows the quilting very clearly. I love seeing the different quilting styles next to each other! I can't wait to see this quilt finished!
I wanted to use up some decor weight fabric I had, so I made Mors Bags! I love how sturdy these bags are, and since making them, I have used them as library bags. I made several so the kids could have some too.